Saturday, April 20, 2013

Our Second Amendment Rights are Safe. For Now

The Senate has voted down the expanded background check with the help of several rational Democrats. Our second amendment rights are safe for the moment. The national registry of all gun owners that could be used to confiscate all guns won't begin to be compiled just yet.

Prez Hussein must be steamed. Even using the victims of the Newtown tragedy as props (and manipulating them into lobbying our Congressmen) was not enough to convince the Senate that our right to bear arms should be infringed upon. That is, for the Republicans, at least. Most of the Democrats voted for the legislation they hoped would be the first step toward nullifying the second amendment.

Although I am not myself a firearms owner, that does not mean I think the Constitution should be circumvented and the guns of the citizens confiscated! No! First they'll confiscate the guns and then it will be the pressure cookers. The bottom line is bad guys will always find a way to hurt innocent people. Reactionary legislation restricting our rights is not the answer.

TLB #28

8 comments:

  1. I am glad the sickos who see tragedies like Newtown to push forward an agenda that reduces our basic human rights lost this time. These folks smiled when the massacre happened. Now they are frowning, and that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone on a blog, Prof. Drennan, who is not a sicko, but does tend to favor the rights of the rulers over the rights of the ruled, needs some facts on how the failed gun control attempts damaged the Second Amendment. I get tired of pointing out the obvious. The post on his blogis here, if you wish to try:

    http://drennans-et-al.blogspot.com/2013/04/forms-of-government-and-basic-political.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as the background checks don't lead to a national registry, I don't have a problem with them, and neither apparently do a large majority of the NRA rank and file.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob Davis, conservative Minneapolis talk show host:

    “I have something I want to say to the victims of Newtown, or any other shooting,” Davis said. “Just because a bad thing happened to you doesn’t mean that you get to put a king in charge of my life. I’m sorry that you suffered a tragedy, but you know what? Deal with it, and don’t force me to lose my liberty, which is a greater tragedy than your loss. I’m sick and tired of seeing these victims trotted out, given rides on Air Force One, hauled into the Senate well, and everyone is just afraid — they’re terrified of these victims. I would stand in front of them and tell them, ‘go to hell”
    So, I disagree. Retired after 30 years in the ammo industry, involved in roughly 25 billion rounds. I hate 'collateral damage' and strongly endorse cold-cocking the problem by regulating 'gun shows' which are endemic with straw purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Reactionary legislation restricting our rights is not the answer.'
    Perhaps, but someone should do something about the bad guys .

    ReplyDelete
  6. BB: Whoa!

    (said in a Kaanu way)

    And while I think Bob Davis is way too harsh on the Newtown families, I think there is a point when victims like this are paraded about and used cynically in an attempt to push an agenda like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dmarks: (said in a Kaanu way)

    Keanu Reeves? Is that who you're referring to? Your spelling is WAY off.

    dmarks: And while I think Bob Davis is way too harsh on the Newtown families, I think there is a point when victims like this...

    Victims? What about your claim that the parents whose children were murdered are sickos who smiled when they heard their kids were dead as a result of gun violence? That ISN'T being "hard" on the parents?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A link to your blog dervish? Do you really think anyone here is going to follow it and read your hateful Liberal rantings?

    ReplyDelete